So! We were married on November 16, 2012, and the day, as I was warned, went by in a flash. We'll start with the rehearsal and dinner, which was lovely, and really made it all real for me! We had a Thursday rehearsal (since we were married on a Friday, I think I mentioned that, for various reasons), and that was hectic as my now-husband couldn't take any more time off, so he rushed over to rehearsal with an overnight bag (we did it all old-fashioned and stayed at our parents' houses the night before!) at 5 pm. The rehearsal was mostly smooth, with the exception of the church coordinator being a bit rude, but overall it was a nice. I really felt that "oh migosh! I'm getting married!" feeling when I did my practice walk down the... well, it wasn't really an aisle, but we'll call it that anyway. :)
We had dinner at a nice Chinese restaurant near the church and our apartment, which my MIL actually picked out. It had a little private room with A/V equipment so we could play our cheesy power point and everything, plus they were super nice about me being picky and let me choose a dish not on the pre-determined menu.
After dinner, Brandon and I said our goodnights and went off to get some sleep. I slept, amazingly, partially due to lack of distractions (my whole family was out at the reception setting up) and I think also due to exhaustion. I did wake up oddly early, around 6 am, which is unheard of for me! I wasn't particularly hungry, but I tried to eat some oatmeal while my brother followed me about, asking me questions. All the while, I attempted to remember all the things I had to do that day- I know, I'm insane. I needed to get my rings cleaned, buy lipstick because I'd lost the one I wanted to wear, and get my hair done. So I showered, blow dried my hair partially dry, and headed out the door.
The people at the jewelry store were astonished to see me there, as they'd been there with us the whole way- I picked out all my jewelry thankyouverymuch, because as I've said... I'm picky. But they got my rings super shiny and sparkly. I may need to visit them again soon... the hard water in our apartment is not kind to my rings.
A few hours later, as I sat in the chair getting my hair put up, I started thinking about how by the end of the day, I'd be married- finally. It was still so far away! It took nearly 2 hours to get it all done up, and around 1:15, I headed over to the church to get dressed, put my makeup on, and get married dangit!
As I drove, I realized I was starving, but I didn't have time to stop *and* get dressed! So I went ahead and called up all my bridesmaids one by one, because none of them were answering. Finally I got one, and my lovely Cristina agreed to pick me up some Quizno's! When I got to the church, Hilary was already there, and we went to the bride's room to get ready together. Unfortunately, we couldn't get in. It was locked. I panicked. I searched the building for someone- anyone- to open the door. No one. I went over to the church's office, and thankfully there was someone in there, who called the coordinator to come unlock the door. She was there within 10 minutes, and we were off and running.
By the time our photographer arrived, I was dressed, made-up, and hyperventilating, hoping I would manage to hold down the half a sandwich I'd eaten. He came in the bride's room and was accompanied by someone else. Someone with a video camera hooked up to some fancy equipment. My videographer. One of the best gifts I've ever gotten. Now that I've had one, I recommend them to everyone! Of course, mine was free to me, since my wonderful brother, Anthony, hired a friend of his who's a professional film maker to shoot my wedding. After seeing my wedding video on Christmas, I can't find the words to express my joy. It was a wonderful, wonderful gift.
Cut to me walking down the sort-of aisle. I'll be honest- I bawled. Totally caught me by surprise, and made everyone around me have to avert their eyes so as to avoid crying them out as well. But I was so, so happy! I wanted to run and jump into his arms! But I was a proper bride, and I walked, at a somewhat slower pace. After 5 and a half years, we were married.
Our ceremony was lovely, our reception was beautiful, and it was easily one of the best days of my life- and I hope there are many wonderful days to come.
A few things I'll mention, for those of you planning and freaking out. It was not perfect, it was not flawless, but it was mine and it was awesome. I forgot to bring my pearl necklace- but it didn't really matter. The priest announced us as "Mr and Mrs Brandon Gomez", which made me scowl, but I got over it. The plates and silverware used by the caterers were disposable- which I'd specifically requested they NOT use, but I let it go. We forgot to do some of those traditional things like cake cutting (wasn't a priority for me), bouquet toss (just didn't think of it), or the dollar dance (which my mom says is tacky anyway), but in the end... we were still married, still in love, and it was still all over. The planning, the headaches, the stupid little details all came together and it was lovely. And now, I'll shut up, and let the pictures tell the story.

No comments:
Post a Comment