I've got a bit of a chip on my shoulder about something. That something is diamonds. Everywhere I look, they're talking about them. I'm talking about the rings, ladies and gentlemen. Now I know about diamonds and how they're forever, they're super hard, they're shiny and sparkly and a girl's best friend... But let's get real. Aren't there some women OTHER than myself who just don't get it?! I mean, they're... white. They're... plain. Sure they're worth bookoos of moolah, but what is the big deal? I like SAPPHIRES, and blue topaz! I like emeralds and tanzanite! I *love* pearls, in all shapes and colors. In short... I like some COLOR! After all, I am a white girl marrying a hispanic man whose skin is a delicious shade of brown like an iced latte. I like shades and hues of various areas of the visible part of the eletromagnetic spectrum. I find it fascinating that we see certain colors because light reflects those colors or absorbs others. So I don't get it. Why are women so content with having the same stone as everyone else?! In fact, I'm hard-pressed to find a woman who doesn't love diamonds! It drives me nutso. I've got a sapphire. It's small, has two white sapphires alongside it, and it's absolutely perfect. I chose it, and between you and me, it cost nothing compared to what it would've run me had I swapped out the stones for diamonds of the same size. I don't know the carat size and frankly I don't care. Size doesn't matter, because I've got these tiny little fingers that would look weird with some honking rock hanging off it. Plus, I'm so cheap, it's not even funny. I couldn't bear to let Brandon spend the same on my engagement ring as I did on my current car. So we picked this out together and we both walked away happy. He asked me if I was sure several times, but considering I still smile when it sparkles in the sunlight, I think we both know the answer now. Even if I did want something big, I probably would've spent much less on the ring, simply by passing on those stupid diamonds. White sapphires, cubic zircona, and mossanite all have that clear white look of diamonds without the price tag, and seriously, who's going to know? I just can't rationalize spending several thousand dollars on a ring, especially considering how much you could do with that money. An average (diamond, what else?) engagement ring supposedly costs $5000. For that amount, I could pay for about 3 months of rent, groceries, gas, cable, and cell phone bills. I could buy a used car in decent condition. I could go to Europe for a few weeks. I could plan a small wedding. I could visit several cities in the US. Of course, I'm not trying to make you feel guilty or anything. I just want to find some people who agree with me. Hello? Anyone there? Hello? I feel like the only girl in the world when it comes to these stupid rings.
Another thing that influenced my decision was the blood diamond thing. I couldn't possibly sleep at night knowing that some poor African kid had to slave away digging for days or weeks or months to find the very diamond I had on my finger. I know there are places that claim to have conflict-free diamonds, but how can I be sure? I can't. So, no diamonds it was.
If anyone out there has similar views, please comment, and let me know I'm not crazy or alone. If you have a non-diamond engagement ring, post a pic! I'd love to see it!
My ring!
No comments:
Post a Comment