Thursday, July 26, 2012

Just for fun...

I thought I'd share something entertaining for y'all. All... what, 10 people who've read this? Lol I'm kidding, I don't care. I'd even be fine with this being more like a diary, but I digress.

So I recently moved out of my parents' house after living there for 23 years. (I know, I know, but hey, I saved A LOT of money!) As you may have guessed, I'm getting married, and my mother is doing my alterations. My wonderful mama made her own wedding dress, so I entrusted her with the task of perfecting mine. I opted out of her making the whole thing, because we've made a few dresses before, and usually we just argue over the littlest things, so I wanted to nip that in the bud and buy my own dress. I did have a small budget, and ended up with a popular David's Bridal choice, but I love it and I feel that I've made it my own. Anyway, I'd gone over for a fitting, and when I got there, my mom was napping. Not wanting to disturb her, I went into what used to be my bedroom. I was shocked to find that it was almost unrecognizable! My walls, which I'd painted turquoise when I was about 12 years old, were now baby blue. My furniture was being moved out of the room, and the carpet was being ripped out. My walk in closet was completely bare, with the exception of my wedding dress hanging on the bar. On the bed, there were various objects, including my mirror, organization items, pens, a stool... and in the middle, lay something satiny, lacy and about the color of honey butter. It was my mother's wedding dress.

Now, I'd seen it before, in pictures, and at one point, it'd hung in my closet, long before my own dress. I'd even attempted to put it on once as a young girl, and it, of course, hung off of me. It consisted of two parts: a tea-length dress with a sweetheart neckline and pearl straps, and a lacy jacket. It's from the eighties, but it doesn't have the giant Diana-esque sleeves, thank goodness. It's not my taste, but I never fail to be amazed at the fact that she made it.

Anyway, I picked it up and examined it. My first observation was that I would've been driven insane by the lace jacket. I've got a skin sensitivity thing. But I was bored and decided to try it on. All of it. jacket, dress, AND veil. Mind you, I've already resolved to nix the veil for my own wedding, as I've never cared for them, and after wedding dress shopping and having them thrust upon me, I still don't like them. I kind of liked one. Only kind of.

So I changed into my mother's wedding dress. I couldn't button the jacket, because it buttoned up the back, but I got a good idea of the full look by holding the back together. It was freaky. Mostly because the dang thing FIT. FIT! My mother, who currently has like triple D cups, was once MY SIZE. I couldn't believe it! Neither could she, when she saw me in it. She said, and I quote, "Oh, that's freaky."

And now, I give you- me, in my mother's wedding dress!
(Forgive my bad photography and the awkward look on my face.)

No comments:

Post a Comment